Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reunited and it Feels So Good

If you were to check the cd player in my car the last 2 years of high school, odds are pretty good you'd find Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte (before they sold out!) or Something Corporate.  This was the soundtrack to my life.  Music that feels like a punch to the stomach, but in a good way.


So you can imagine my delight when at the Jack's Mannequin concert in February their frontman announced that he and the guitarist would be reuniting with Something Corporate after a 5 year hiatus at Bamboozle, a festival in May.  And my delight was only furthered at the Bamboozle show when he announced a reunion tour that would come through town in August.  Excited does not even begin to describe it.


As it turns out Something Corporate came to Milwaukee and not Chicago, but a mere 90 minute drive wasn't going to stop me.  So after work on the day of the concert Thomas and I hopped in the car and we made our way to America's Dairyland.


There were no opening acts and we arrived at The Eagle's Club about 20 minutes before the show started.  The main floor was already completely packed and we found ourselves on the balcony.  I wasn't thrilled about this since most of the action is really down on the main level and being on the balcony makes me feel somewhat removed from the stage; more like a spectator than a participant.  But Thomas scored us a spot behind a VIP section full of people who sat through the entire show, so that was great because we had a clear view of the stage.  I still had fun jumping around and enjoying every second of the show, but pretty much everyone else on the balcony was just standing there with the exception of a handful of people.  At this point Thomas would like to interject that I was dancing and jumping even when most of the people on the main floor weren't, but I stand by my previous assertion that the people who watch concerts from the balcony are generally a bunch of lame-o's.

Anyway, the concert was still awesome.  Something Corporate put on just as amazing of a show as they did when I saw them in the early 2000's.  They opened with Straw Dog, which they didn't play at Bamboozle but I was really hoping to hear.  As You Sleep also made its concert debut.  SoCo even played a b side from their second full length album, North, called Watch the Sky, which is my new favorite song of the moment.  They played almost all of the tracks from Leaving Through the Window and probably about half of North.  All around just as fabulous of a time as I had been expecting and leaves me feeling energized.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

    I saw Jack's in Chicago also, but the second date (the day after he announced that SoCo was playing Bamboozle?) -- nonetheless, it was still a blast!

    I'm so pleased to hear they played Watch the Sky. By any chance did they play Cavanaugh Park or Konstantine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them the second date at the House of Blues, too! I wrote about it here: http://pawstofeet.blogspot.com/2010/05/front-row.html

    And yes, they did play Cavanaugh Park and Konstantine. They kind of have to play Konstantine or else I think half the crowd would riot! Although personally I would have rather they played "She Paints Me Blue" and "Break Myself" (there's enough time for 2 songs at least in the time it take for Konstantine, hehe). But still a great show; Andrew McMahon never seems to disappoint live!

    ReplyDelete